Things to Do in Monterey, CA
Monterey, California is a spectacular city that offers visitors beautiful scenery, breathtaking beaches and a wide variety of fun things to see and do at local attractions, festivals, wineries, restaurants, and events. When you visit the Central Coast and stay at Hotel Pacific in Monterey, you’ll find a wide range of fun things to do just a few minutes away from luxury, all-suites hotel. Enjoy romantic fireplace rooms, relaxing courtyard, superior amenities, and take advantage of the fun outdoor activities, attractions, museums, shopping, beaches, and dining you’ll find right here on the Monterey Bay.
Monterey’s Path of History. Step into the past along Monterey’s Walking Path of History. Follow the Path of History to discover the magic of a rich and treasured history that mixes with the wonder and vibrancy of a city eager to meet the future. Monterey is a special place, which has maintained more of its rich and complex heritage than any other California city.
Old Fisherman's Wharf. Enjoy a bowl of steaming hot clam chowder, laugh at the antics of local sea lions and otters, enjoy a glass bottom boat tour on the Monterey Bay, search the waves for migrating grey whales, dine on the freshest local seafood, and shop the day away at this popular Monterey visitor attraction.
Cannery Row Once the industrial center of Monterey’s booming sardine-packing trade, Cannery Row is a popular waterfront district that is home to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and other exciting attractions. Celebrated in John Steinbeck’s famous novel of the same name, today Cannery Row offers a wide range of visitor attractions, shopping, dining, historical landmarks, and fun family attractions all overlooking the Monterey Bay.
Monterey Bay Aquarium. Housed in a former sardine cannery on Monterey’s famous Cannery Row, the famous Monterey Aquarium offers a spectacular variety of marine related exhibits that include life-sized whale exhibits, huge tanks teeming with albacore tuna, sunfish, great white sharks, marine birds, jellyfish, live otters, hands-on kids activities, on-site dining, and much more. Open daily, except Dec. 25 from 10am - 6pm. [Top]
The Monterey Bay area of California is known for its abundance of outstanding restaurants located throughout the city of Monterey and the surrounding area. With local restaurants and cafes serving everything from hearty clam chowder at Fisherman’s Wharf to fresh Californian Cuisine featuring local organic produce and premium local wines you’ll find just what you’re looking for at one of the many restaurants located in Carmel and Monterey. Enjoy the amazing variety of dining options you’ll find just a few minutes away from Hotel Pacific.
Restaurants in Monterey
Restaurants in Pacific Grove
- Sardine Factory. Monterey’s premier seafood restaurant has been serving up fresh local favorites and award winning cuisine since 1968 and offers an extensive wine list featuring more than 1,000 different wines. www.sardinefactory.com.
Address: 701 Wave St, Monterey, CA 93940
- Montrio Bistro. Located in a firehouse built in 1910, Montrio offers a mix of American, Italian and French cuisine and was named “Restaurant of the Year” by Esquire magazine.
Address: 414 Calle Principal, Monterey, CA 93940
Restaurants in Carmel
- Fandango. Featuring Mediterranean and European style cuisine, Fandango fills the rooms of an old house with happy, busy energy. A local favorite for over 25 years.
Address: 223 17th Street, Pacific Grove, CA 93950
- Passion Fish. Offers a unique California dining experience with serious food and wine in a fun and casual atmosphere. The ever changing menu offers the freshest sustainable seafood, slow cooked meats, farm fresh organic greens, and delectable house-made desserts.
Address: 701 Lighthouse Ave, Pacific Grove, CA 93950
- Casanova. This restaurant presents a culinary experience that echoes the South of France & Northern Italy in the center of Carmel, California. Founded by a group of homesick European expatriates, Casanova has been setting trends since 1977.
Address: 5th Street Between Mission and San Carlos, Carmel By The Sea, CA 93923
- Porto Bella. Cuisine features beautiful specialties from France, Italy and Spain. The dishes are rich in color and flavor, set in a romantic home and garden which was awarded the First Prize for Beautiful Flowerscaping by the Carmel Garden Club.
Address: Ocean Avenue, Between Lincoln & Monte Verde, Carmel By The Sea, CA 93923
- Cantineta Luca. This restaurant offers casual, informal dining, featuring delicious pizza baked in an authentic wood-burning oven, antipasti, a dozen or so varieties of salumis, and handmade pasta. All of the presentations are simple and rustic; food prepared with fresh seasonal ingredients to bring out bold flavors.
Address: Dolores Street, Between Ocean and 7th, Carmel By The Sea, CA 93923
Phone: 831-625-6500 [Top]
Monterey’s Wine Country. From Carmel Valley to the Pacific coast, Monterey County is home to an assortment of top-notch wineries that produce a variety of fine wines, from Chardonnay to Merlot. The Monterey County Vintners and Growers Association offers detailed wine tasting information, wine country brochures, winery listings, event information, and a map of Monterey County wineries.
San Carlos Borromeo de Carmel Mission Basilica. Founded by Spanish missionary, Father Junipero Serra, in 1770, the historic Carmel Mission offers interesting, permanent exhibits of significant religious artifacts, a library, a collection of original Spanish and Native American tools and equipment, gardens, and a sanctuary. Open Mon. - Sat., 9:30am - 4:15pm, Sun. 8:30am - 4:15pm.
17-Mile Drive. Cruise in your car or enjoy a quiet bicycle ride along the world famous 17-Mile Drive. This popular scenic route travels through the towns of Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach, following the spectacular Monterey Bay coastline and passing through famous golf courses, close to impressive mansions and past California’s famed Lone Cypress Tree. Auto entry is $8.75. Pedestrians and bicycles enter free.
Pebble Beach Golf Courses. Pebble Beach is home to several world-class golf courses and plays host to a variety of annual professional golfing events throughout the year, including the AT&T National Pro-Am and the U.S. Open. Featuring unmatched courses and spectacular views of the Monterey Bay, Pebble Beach offers a superb golfing experience at famous courses like Pebble Beach Golf Links, Poppy Hills, Spyglass Hill, Spanish Bay, and Del Monte.
Point Lobos State Reserve. Point Lobos State Reserve is a California experience like no other. Offering bizarre tidal effects, extraordinary sea lion colonies, groves of rare Monterey Cyprus trees, challenging hiking trials, open beaches, scuba diving, and spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean, Point Lobos is considered to be the most beautiful California state parks.
Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca. Experience the thrill of exciting motorcycle and auto races, like the Honda Grand Prix, as well as several other events throughout the year at this world-class raceway that is located halfway between Monterey and Salinas on Highway 68.
National Steinbeck Center. Located in historic old town Salinas, the National Steinbeck Center offers visitors a glimpse into the life of Monterey County's native son through fascinating, interactive exhibits highlighting the Salinas Valley, Steinbeck’s life and the author’s now-famous literary works. Open daily, 10am - 5pm, except holidays. [Top]